Do I Need a Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch for a Short Bed 2023 Silverado 3500 w/ the Factory Puck System?
Do I need a sliding 5th wheel hitch for a 2023 Silverado 3500 with a 6-3/4 foot bed? I have the pucks in the bed from the factory.
asked by: Wendy
Yes, you do need a slider, for turning clearance, to haul a 5th wheel trailer with your 2023 Chevy Silverado 3500. Since your truck has the GM factory puck system, I recommend the B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Slider item # BWRVK3775. The Companion Slider has a 20,000 lbs capacity and will give you 12" of travel for making tight turns and backing.
Besides being made in the USA, one of the main reason the Companion is the best option for a sliding 5th wheel is the 1" thick dual jaws will give you a 360-degree jaw to kingpin contact. This system minimizes the chucking, jarring, and noise that can occur when towing a 5th wheel trailer. This not only provides a more secure connection but also a quieter more comfortable towing experience.
I have attached a picture that will show you what the Companion Slider looks like installed along with a review video that will show you a hands on look at the features I just described.
5th Wheel Slider hitches like the B&W Companion are extremely heavy. This one weighs 251 lbs. If that's not something you're interested in moving by yourself and don't want to have to rely on someone to help you then I recommend purchasing the B&W 5th Wheel Lifting Device for Companion and Patriot Hitches item # BWRVXA3130. This heavy duty steel tool lets you lift your B&W 5th-wheel hitch from your truck bed with a hoist. The 5th-Wheel jaws clamp around the device for a secure grip.
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
Products Referenced in This Question
- Accessories and Parts
- Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Lift Bracket
- B and W
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Slider for Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20K
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement
- Shop: B&W Patriot 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider - Dual Jaw - 18,000 lbs
- Shop: B&W 5th Wheel Lifting Device for Companion and Patriot Hitches
- Shop: B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ Slider for Ram Towing Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 20K
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Shop: Adapter Rails for Curt 5th Wheel Hitch - Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package
- Shop: Curt Q25 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ R24 Slider - Dual Jaw - 24,000 lbs
- Search Results: b&w companion ford
- Shop: Adapter Rails for Curt 5th Wheel Hitch - Ford and Chevy/GMC Towing Prep Package
- Q&A: Do I Need a 5th Wheel Slider In My 2022 GMC Sierra 2500 w/ OEM Prep Package and Short Bed
- Q&A: Recommended 5th Wheel Hitch for 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Short Bed with Factory Pucks
- Q&A: Are the Gooseneck Hitch Balls the Same for a GM and Ram Puck System
- Search Results: 5th wheel plate
- Video: Review of Curt Fifth Wheel Installation Kit - Ford/GM Adapter Kit - C88KR
- Video: Curt 5th Wheel Hitch Adapter Rails Review
- Video: B and W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch Installation - 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500
- Video: Curt 5th Wheel Hitch Adapter Rails Installation - 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500
- Search Results: 5th wheel hitch puck system
- Q&A: Adapter to Allow B and W Patriot Slider Hitch to Install in 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 OEM Pucks
- Video: Review of B and W Fifth Wheel - Fixed Fifth Wheel - BWRVK3775
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Search Results: b&w companion
- Search Results: lube plate
- Search Results: b&w lube plate
- Search Results: b&w lift
- Video: Air Lift WirelessAIR Compressor System for Air Helper Springs Installation - 2019 Ford F-250 Super D
- Video: Review of B and W Fifth Wheel - BWRVXA3130
- Q&A: How to Determine If Reese Goosebox On 2022 Jayco Eagle Will Allow 90 Degree Turns 2022 Ram Short Bed